See bottom of page for search results.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bureacrazy! - A Library Misadventure

A Facebook friend of mine, Sean Mills, wrote a note a while back describing a trip to the library:




I wanted to read Bill Eiland's book about Lamar Dodd, "The Truth in
Things."

I went to the library and found it, tried to check it out.

They told me I had to to go get a library card at the Main Athens Library
Branch.

I went there and they said they couldn't use my Student ID, I needed some
mail to prove my residence.

I went home and got some mail, and then proceeded to show my student ID to
another librarian and got a card.

I went to the UGA library, but now the book was missing.

I asked them where it could be, they said they had 3 copies all not checked
out...so I filled out a book search request form.

I get an email a few days later, saying, "I found your book, print out this
form and come get it before the expiration date."

So, I go in and they say the don't know where it is, I will have to wait
for a manager.

I wait for a manager and he says I can't check out my book, I have to go
back to the Main Athens Library and pay $10 in the basement to get interlibrary
privileges...

So, I just sat there and read the whole thing.




Lovely story, don't you think? He appropriately titled the note "Bureacrazy!" When I asked him if I could put this on Greek Fire, he responded:



Sure.. unlike the federal government I like to share information.
Incidentally, the last part of the story would be a smart move, except I AM
planning on paying that fee eventually so I can check out other books in the
future.

Library adventures are the sweetest kind.



Make sure to check out his website, http://www.seanmillshospital.com/.



~ROBO~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appriciate your feedback.